* Warning. Long blogpost*
Hola chicos y chicas.
I have a lot on my mind these days. Really missing my friends and my family and looking forwards to see them again..and at the same time trying to figure out what to do with myself and my life. Buuut that’s not what today’s blog will be about.
I’m going to tell you about a very unique experience I had about a week ago.
On Sunday the 16th of may Bettina, Therese, Cristoph, Pelle (christoph’s friend from
All I knew before coming was that they don’t have water or electricity, there are poisonous snakes, scorpions and tarantulas there, and they save sea-turtle eggs.
So we arrived Sunday after-noon and it was really hot but soo beautiful. We were staying in small cabinas (which by the way were not so appealing when we arrived. Full of sand and “left overs” in the toilet..) but they were like 10m from the beach,
there were flowers around, trees with coconut, cashews and other exotic things,
but it was a bit of a shock as well. Here is why.
When you don’t have electricity or water things are different.
- Hygine becomes tricky. There are normal toilets inside each cabina. Want to flush? Go with the small bucket and get some sea\rain water and flush. Want to shower? Go to the well\shower, pull up a bucket of water from the well and pour over yourself, or have shower parties with your friends (and swim wear!) to make things easier. Picture of the shower\well.
However, in the heat you kind of just have to get used to being sweat, smelly and sandy 24\7, except maybe 10min right after you shower.
- Food. No fridge or freezer means that simple food is served. Breakfast was pancakes or empanadas. Lunch: Rice and Beans. Dinner: Rice and Beans. Yes, every day. But it was good rice and beans. There was a small kiosk at the project where you could buy cookies etc, so not too bad actually. Loved the little library that it included as well. Picture of the kitchen area.
Heat. It was hot. Very hot. The worst thing was sleeping in the heat. Especially when my mosquito net fell down and tried to strangle me a few times each night.
- People. Lovely. We were a good group that went together so we had a lot of fun, and the people that worked there as well were really nice.
Work. Yes we did work, it was definitely not a holiday. They have a small farm, butterfly garden, pigs etc so there was enough to do.
Plucking weeds out of the paths and gardens, getting water from the sea, getting firewood from the beach etc. At times I really felt like a cave woman and\or Tarzan’s woman Jane. We did have free time too during the day and it was soo nice to jump straight into the ocean after working and chille in hammocks.
Patrols. Every night there are voluteers patrolling the beaches to avoid local people steal eggs from the sea turtles. Each shift is 4 hour and we walk 14km every shift. I did 2 shifts and saw about 4 sea turtles this size (not my picture but a volunteer at a different project, but this is the size of the turtles we saw) the sad thing was that we didn’t manage to save any eggs on my shifts
Night activities. Usually we sat in the club house, Cristoph’s little tree house, and played cards, ate cookies, watched the starts and talk about a lot of funny things\people\plans. Also went out with the boat on the river one night to hunt for alligators.
I must admit I hated it a little the first days. Especially the heat. I like to be dry and clean. But when the time came to go back I really didn’t want to. I really liked the way of life there, in the nature with monkeys, turtles, other volunteers, it was a simple life but it was soo much fun too. It really sucked to be back to civilization. Maybe because I went straight to
It really did not help that on the bus ride back there was some guys that came on to sell food, very normal here, but I all of a sudden hear “Huevos de Tortugas!” (turtle eggs) and see one guy with small plastic bags with eggs in them for sale. Disgusting. I wanted to talk to him, scream, cry and spit on him all at the same time. But mostly I just wanted to go back to the jungle.
Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed reading this entry. Isn't it sad when people outside the project are just oblivious of all the greatness of nature and the importance of preserving them? Neglecting the comfort of civilization is a pain in the ass, but after a experience like the one you had, it is totally worth it... and for a lifetime.
SvarSlettKan du ta meg med til paradis???
SvarSlettSå fantastisk, men kanskje litt for varmt for meg?? Gleder meg til du kommer hjem, hvis du har tid til det da, høres ut som du har nye planer hverdag, men for å få deg litt ned på jorda igjen, så har du et studielån,renter øker og det er stor arbeidsløshet i Spania, nei for å være ærlig hadde det vært best å komme hjem og ta master på Ås og så kan du jobbe og reise som du vil, kanskje du får deg en jobb mens du går på Ås, som reisende miljøredder, det er sikkert mange prosjekter og kontakter der,livet er spennende og ligger foran deg, og du har så mange ressurser og ønsker og planer. Jeg har aldri stoppet deg, vil det ikke heller, men jeg vil følge deg og gi deg råd,ikke mase, ikke formane ....forstår du??? Glad i deg, jenta mi, klem
Very true Isaac! I wish I could go to a place like that once in a month or something just so I can remind myself how comfortable (and lazy) our lives really are!
SvarSlettMamma, det var da veldig til moralpreken.. Vi får se hva som skjer! Hadde sikkert vært bra å dra hjem og studere videre med en gang, men det som er bra er ikke alltid best. Gjør det som føles riktig for meg så lenge jeg kan. Klem
Det var ingen moralpreken, det viktigste er at du gjør det du føler er riktig for deg, helt enig, da forstår vi hverandre, jeg kan jo gi deg råd for det, mener ikke å moralisere, skjønner du vel, snuppa mi!!! Knusekos
SvarSlett